Northwest Baptist Convention

Areas & Divisions

Mission Gift Instructions
Suggested Record Retention Guide


(Compiled by Northwest Baptist Convention Administrative Services Team)

The following contacts are intended to help you obtain information and resources in administering your church in the areas of tax, legal, insurance, retirement, and compensation issues:

Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations
(Publication 1828)
Charitable Contributions I -- Substantiation & Disclosure
(Publication 1771)
Charitable Contributions II
(Publication 526)

Suggested Record Retention Guide - Guidestone Financial Resources
At this site you can obtain information regarding the Church Annuity Plan and insurance programs offered by the SBC. Insurance offered includes life, medical, dental, disability and long-term care. Once you reach the AB web page, by clicking on the “Resources” button you can download a number of useful publications including:

1) Planning Financial Support of Ministers and Church Employees
2) Minister’s Tax Guide
3) Federal Reporting Requirements for SBC Churches
4) SBC Compensation Study - Christian Copyright Licensing International
This company issues church copyright licenses providing permission to copy form over 150,000 songs for congregation use. Enables a church to make overhead transparencies or show video cassettes or CDs. - Church Mutual Insurance
This company insures over 70,000 churches in the U.S. They offer property, liability, and workers comp coverages as well as clergy homeowners/tenants insurance. From the site you can download a number of excellent booklets on different aspects of church risk management. - Oregon Department of Revenue
Contact point for OR income tax withholding, OR state unemployment tax, etc. If you are beginning a church in Oregon, you will need to register as an OR employer. The form to register called the Combined Employer’s Registration from may be downloaded under the “tax forms” category. - Guide One Insurance (1-888-218-8561)
This company insures over 40,000 churches including 6,500 SBC churches and entities. The Annuity Board, SBC has endorsed this company for property and casualty coverage. Profits from the relationship between the AB and Guide One are distributed as dividends by the Annuity Board to supplement incomes of retired ministers, missionaries, and their widows. - Christian Ministry Resources (Institute of Church Leadership)
CMR is the largest provider of legal, tax, and administrative resources to religious organizations int he United States. Resources available for sale include such items as:

1) Annual Update for church treasurers and bookkeepers
2) New Minister's Guide to legal and tax issues
3) The Annual Compensation Handbook for church Staff
4) The church guide to copyright law
5) Reducing the risk of child sexual abuse resource kit
6) The bidding and church construction resource kit - Internal Revenue Service
Numerous IRS forms, instructions, and publications are available at this site. You may view them on-line or download them. Publications of special interest to churches include:

Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations
(Publication 1828)
Charitable Contributions I -- Substantiation & Disclosure
(Publication 1771)
Charitable Contributions II
(Publication 526) - WA Dept of Labor and Industry
Washington churches must obtain their workers compensation insurance from the State of Washington. - Lifeway, SBC
Southern Baptists literature and church resources.
Northwest Baptist Convention. (360-882-2100) - Instant Insurance Quote Center
This is a useful site for obtaining insurance rate quotes from a number of different companies. Many types of insurance are available such as medical, dental, life, auto, homeowners, etc. - Southern Baptist Convention - Washington Secretary of State
If you wish to incorporate your church in the State of Washington or wish to check on your corporate status, this is the site to visit. - Secretary of State
If you are starting a church and want information about incorporating in Oregon or information regarding Oregon tax laws or Oregon workers compensation insurance, begin here.


This contact list was prepared by:
Pamela Brock, Business Manager
Northwest Baptist Convention

(360) 882-2104